Anyway, I thnk a lot of people probably already know why I am posting again. We're adopting a child from China! One of the reasons we are adopting is because we were really touched by another family's adoption from China and their blog postings several years ago. It changed my heart from "wow adoption is a really awesome thing" to "wow adoption is amazing and maybe we really could adopt a child of our own someday". So if you're reading this beware :)
The first time Jeff and I ever spoke about adopting was on the way to Florida for our honeymoon almost 17 years ago. Little did we know as we talked about our hopes and dreams, God was about to give us Shelby nine months later. Over the years, I brought adoption up mostly in passing, it really never seemed like the right time or we were the right people for the job either. I have prayed about it for a long time. Actually "adoption" is in the very center of my prayer page in my journal for the past four years. My prayer eventually turned into God if it's ever gonna happen you will make it happen, if not I would have to be ok with that.
Then came December 31, 2011. Jeff and I enjoyed a 90 minute car ride to our friends in Bellevue - alone - which doesn't happen very often. As we got on the turnpike, Jeff turned to me and asked if I still wanted to adopt. Seriously?? I felt like I was in a daze for the next 30 minutes as we talked more in depth about it.
Then came the next month of the emotional roller coaster. Could we really do this? How could we ever afford this? Would our family think it's ok? Where to adopt from? Boy or girl? Baby? Preschooler? School age? And a few other thousand questions...
No comments:
Post a Comment