Sunday, January 25, 2015

Two years home - Happy Family Day Matthew!

Family Day 2013

I can't believe we are celebrating Matthew being our son for two years.  It's an amazing milestone because he has now been in our family longer than he hasn't. What a beautiful yet sometimes hard two years it has been.  Funny when we started out on this journey, I was so worried about his medical condition and traveling.  Those were the easy parts!  


Matthew is still such a sweet little guy and he has a great smile.  However he still sometimes struggles with being left and with sleeping.  I used to believe that the struggles would somehow just disappear, but I am coming to realize that when a little one loses their whole world over and over again, it's not something you just get over in two years.   It takes time... If you lost ever care giver in your life four different times before you were two years old, why would he ever think the next one would be forever? 

Thankfully all the sweet moments fully outnumber the harder ones and he has come so far. His hugs are the best and and he is always telling us "I love you all the time big" and " I so glad your my mama".  He loves to help out.  And surprisingly enough, he has no anxiety about  going to preschool and Sunday school all by himself.  



I am also astonished at what he has learned in the past two years.  He speaks very well and has a great vocabulary. Most people assume he is receiving services at the preschool he attends, but he actually is one of the peer role models.   He can count and knows all the sounds that each letter of the alphabet makes.  Matthew knows how to wrestle with his brother and this boy loves to craft with his sister.  He has even started to relearn Chinese a little tiny bit. He likes to practice my Chinese lessons with me and picks up things a 100 times faster than I can.  He is also my first child that has ever enjoyed doing flash cards.  We have also discovered his love affair with playing board and card games.  And yes, he continues to dress up in his football jerseys to join the daily game of football in the living room with the rest of the boys.  The picture frames on the wall will never be the same, I am thankful for super glue!


before his surgery


Medically, Matthew is doing great.  He has grown 7 inches and gained 13 pounds in two years. He is done having surgeries for now.  His scars are healing nicely and he doesn't need to go back to his clinic for a whole year.   His surgeons were really pleased with his healing.  As he gets older, he may have a few nip and tucks, but nothing needed just yet.


April 2014


I have become very humbled and grateful with this little boy God has entrusted to us.  So sweet Matthew - Happy 2 year Family Day!  I am so honored to call you my son and I am looking forward to seeing you in your new role of Big Brother. You have given us far more than we can ever give you in return.    I pray that God continues to heal your heart and fills you up with His joy and peace.  










No comments:

Post a Comment