Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday in Guangzhou

Really branching out... We were even able to leave the hotel. In zhengzhou, we only left one time to go to Walmart. Matthew would get so upset if we left the room or even came back in. He was just so scared and we can only imagine what went through his little mind. So much is so new for him, too.

To think one week ago he was an orphan and this week he is staying at the Marriot with his mom and dad and an all you can eat breakfast buffet. I wish I could video tape him getting up in the morning. He has this very pensive look at first, rolls over and sees us and the look is priceless - huge grin and puts his arms in the air to be picked up. The other night ago, I had the side of the crib down while he slept so I could pat his back. I woke up to find him balancing on his knees on the top bar of the crib with a death grip around my head and shoulders.

He wants Jeff to hold him if he is unsure or scared -Baba is also the go to guy to play - isn't that what dads are for? I am the food mama, pretty sure he has gained a few pounds this week. Matthew likes to watch me clean bottles and wash out laundry in the sink (wont he be surprised that we have kitchen and laundry room for such things). He gets very chatty, only if one of us leaves?? He is feeling more comfortable to walk and not be carried everywhere and he thinks the stroller is ok, too. Several people have tried to come hold him, but he will not go. If will give you a fantastic smile if you give him something to eat.

I am a little puzzled to why this boy was all smiles and so willing to go with us when he was placed in the arms of two American strangers a week ago. That is not our boy at ALL. The album we sent was untouched so he had never even seen our pictures. I can only believe that he was so strongly covered in a lots of prayers.

So, while you guys watched the Superbowl, we were at the medical building. We had his physical today and everything was good to let him leave the country - IN 4 MORE DAYS! It was a long morning in a very warm building with 15 crying children. We headed out to Shamian Island with another family who has a little boy from the same province as Matthew to do a little souvenir shopping. Typically people on the street aren't too friendly and outgoing, but we made so many "new friends" with the store clerks. One of the shop keepers commented that our two boys must be from Henan province since they were so "strong" - that's shop talk for well fed.

We miss you all and cannot wait for you to meet Matthew. Tomorrow is a trip to the zoo!













No comments:

Post a Comment